Police confirmed that at least two people had been killed following a shooting incident at a senior living facility in Prince George’s County in Maryland. The shooting reportedly occurred Friday morning at the National Church Residences – Gateway Village.
One suspect, believed to be a lone shooter, is already in police custody. Police said the home for the elderly facility has been secured and they believe the threat to the community has now been neutralized.
A resident at the home said she heard a loud “pow” before seeing the shooter. She told reporters that she ran for her life but was nervous because her mother-in-law was still in one of the buildings.
When the shooting happened, all of the residents that were able to walk were told to evacuate, while those in wheelchairs were asked to stay locked in their rooms.
Prince George’s County police spokesperson, Julie Wright, said that the suspect had shot and killed “two members” of the facility. Police are still investigating the motive behind the shooting. Police did not disclose the name of the suspect or those that were killed during the incident.
National Church Residences executive vice president Michelle Norris said in a prepared statement that they were “heartbroken” about the incident. He added that he was “proud” of the heroic actions of the facility’s staff, including those that helped residents escape.