After U.S. President Joe Biden said Thursday that the country would defend Taiwan from China, the country’s Foreign Ministry warned that there will be “no room for compromise” regarding its territorial claims.
The latest spat between the US and China comes after Beijing seized on the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan to boost its propaganda against Taiwan. Since then, China has increased its incursions into Taiwan, raising fears that it may invade the island.
In response to the growing issue of Taiwan and Russian’s growing military presence, Biden said during a CNN town hall that the US has the most powerful military in history.
Biden said the U.S. would defend Taiwan against a Chinese attack. China responded by saying the U.S. should not underestimate China’s “strong resolve, determination, and capability” to defend its “national sovereignty and territorial integrity.”
China’s Foreign Ministry said the U.S. should be cautious in its words and actions as it may send the “wrong signal to secessionists.” A spokesperson for the White House later clarified that Biden did not announce any change in the administration’s policy towards Taiwan.
The spokesperson noted that the country’s defense relationship with Taiwan is based on the Taiwan Relations Act. The act requires the U.S. to maintain its support for Taiwan’s self-defense.
The Biden administration has tried to maintain a balanced relationship with China. It wants to cooperate with Beijing on various issues, but it also wants to maintain its military posture on the Taiwan issue.
The U.S. has an interest in maintaining peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait. A senior official noted in August that the U.S. viewed this as a central element to the region’s security.