Southern California remains under significant fire threat as the Hughes Fire, which ignited near Castaic Lake on Wednesday, continues to burn unchecked. The blaze has consumed over 9,000 acres and remains 0% contained, prompting evacuation orders for approximately 31,000 residents in Los Angeles and Ventura counties. An additional 23,000 people are under evacuation warnings, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna.
The fire, fueled by dry vegetation and moderate Santa Ana winds, has led to a massive response from over 4,000 firefighting personnel. Despite their efforts, officials caution that the situation remains volatile. “We are not out of the woods yet,” said Cal Fire Chief Joe Tyler, urging residents to heed evacuation directives.
Castaic, an unincorporated community northwest of Santa Clarita, lies near the Angeles National Forest, an area known for its dry, grassy hills. These conditions have made fire containment particularly challenging. “The vegetation is incredibly dry, and the terrain is steep,” said Angeles National Forest spokesperson Dana Dierkes.
The fire’s rapid spread has already impacted local infrastructure. A county jail in Castaic partially evacuated 470 inmates to safer areas within the facility, with plans in place to relocate more if necessary. Schools in the area, including Castaic Middle School and Castaic High School, were also evacuated, with students relocated to nearby parking lots and sports complexes.
Smoke from the fire has been visible as far south as Oxnard, approximately 50 miles away. Forecast models predict the flames will likely move south and west, posing a continued threat to Castaic and surrounding areas.
The Hughes Fire adds to an already devastating wildfire season in Southern California. Earlier this month, the Palisades and Eaton Fires scorched over 40,000 acres and claimed 28 lives. While current conditions are less severe than those seen in recent weeks, officials warn that the region remains vulnerable.
The Angeles National Forest has been closed to the public through January 24 as a precaution. Firefighters are employing both ground and aerial resources, including at least 10 aircraft, to combat the blaze.