Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said that the country will not adhere to the terms set by the 2015 Iran nuclear deal. Khamenei said Monday that the uranium enrichment set by the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action is unacceptable.
Under the JCPOA, Iran was only allowed to enrich uranium to under 4 percent at most. The limit was set to only enable the country to use the material for nuclear power for its electrical needs.
After Trump announced that the U.S. would exit the original deal, Iran had reportedly been slowly increasing its enrichment levels. Earlier in the year, Iranian officials said that they would be enriching uranium to 20 percent at the country Fordo nuclear facility. When enriched to 90 percent, uranium can be used to build a nuclear weapon.
“Iran is not after nuclear weapons, but its nuclear enrichment will not be limited to 20% either. It will enrich uranium to any extent that is necessary for the country. Iran’s enrichment level may reach 60% to meet the country’s needs,” Khamenei said.
Iran’s comments come just hours after U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that the country may rejoin the JCPOA deal if Iran agrees to comply with the terms of the deal.
“Iran must comply with its safeguards agreements with the [International Atomic Energy Agency] and its international obligations,” Blinken said.