A police officer leads employees of a nearby store away from the scene of an attack carried out by a man who injured multiple people at a shopping mall in Auckland, New Zealand, September 3, 2021. Stuff Limited/Ricky Wilson via REUTERS

New Zealand Police Shot And Killed Islamic Extremist Following Public Stabbing

Police in New Zealand claimed to have shot and killed an Islamic terrorist on Friday afternoon, only 60 seconds after he began stabbing people at a supermarket.

According to local reports, three of the six persons stabbed are in critical condition, one is seriously injured, and two are in stable condition.

The individual, a Sri Lankan national, was a known ISIS supporter who was being tracked around the clock, according to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, who described the event as a terror attack.

“What happened today was despicable, it was hateful, it was wrong. It was carried out by an individual, not a faith,” Ardern said.

 The suspect was reportedly being followed by multiple government agencies after he was sentenced to one year of supervision last month for possessing ISIS propaganda, especially a video of people being slaughtered. According to Reuters, he has been in the nation since 2011.

Justice Sally Fitzgerald noted in his sentence that the suspect had both an “operative interest” in ISIS and the means and motive to inflict public harm.

The suspect, who has not been named by investigators due to a court order, entered a Countdown supermarket in Auckland and took a big knife from a display cabinet before stabbing victims.

A police surveillance squad and a special tactics group had tracked the suspect from his house to the shop, according to Police Commissioner Andrew Coster.

When the incident began, two officers from the special tactics group raced over, according to Coster. He said the guy approached officers with a knife, prompting them to shoot and kill him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XiwXIcnqAs

Latest News

Names of missing Chibok school girls kidnapped by Boko Haram insurgency five years ago are displayed during the 5th year anniversary of their abduction, in Abuja, Nigeria April 14, 2019. REUTERS/Afolabi Sotunde

Nigeria Shuts Down Schools Following Mass Kidnapping Of Students

Money Heist Season 5 Preview (Netflix)

‘Money Heist’ Season 5 Episode 1 Review, Right Where We Left Off